Character Name: Watanabe You
Series: Love Live! Sunshine!!
Outfit: Mijuku Dreamer
Started: January 2017
Finished: August 2017
Hours to make: 70
Cost of materials: approx. $150 CAD
Worn at: Otakon 2017
I will forever be idol trash and You is my LL!S!! best girl. I made parts of this costume twice and I'm
still not super happy with how it turned out.
Top: The top was made out of a variety of different types of cotton and some mystery fabric from
the bargain bins at Fabricville. I patterned out a base yukata top and then divided it into strips.
In retrospect, I should have made the top longer than I did as it rides up easily.
Skirts: There are three layers to the skirts. The bottom layer is the petticoat in which there are four
layers of ruffles attached to it. The middle layer is made out of the same fabrics as the top. Patterning this out
took a bit of trial and error to get the shape I wanted. Finally, the top layer was made out of a blue
butterfly cotton. The bottom of it was gradient dyed and then the circles were painted on using silver fabric
paint. The white side parts were attached to the top of the top skirt.
Obi & bows: The obi was made out of the same blue cotton as the skirts. I cut out a base rectangle and
then layered and sewed down strips to give it a wrapped around/layered effect. The front bow was made out of
the same dark blue cotton and some scrap black fabric. The bow was stuffed with a bit of stuffing to give it
a bit more volume. The button/pin was made out of some scrap worbla that was painted and attached with a pin.
The back bow was made out of the same light blue as the top. The obi attaches at the back using velcro.
Shoes: The base of the shoes are blue flip flops. The back band was foam covered in worbla that was
then attached with glue and painted blue. The rest of the shoe was more of a sock. I patterned out a modified
tabi sock of sorts out of a stretch cotton sateen. I was originally going to add some interfacing to the top
parts of the shoe, but I ended up not needing it. The shoes stayed up better than expected!
Arm accessories: The arm band/sleeve was made out of strips of the same fabric used for the top.
The glove took me a bit of time to figure out the best way to make it. I ended up making it in two pieces (the
hand part and then the trim).
Other accessories: The headband was made out of some scrap white knit and elastic. The bow was made out of
a blue cotton stuff with stuffing. The flower part was made out of some scrap worbla and everything was attached
with glue and a mini hair comb. The earrings were made out of clip-on earring findings and some scrap worbla
pieces. The sock was made out of a cotton knit. It was then sewn onto a pair of footless stockings to better stay
up on my legs. The black string was embroidery thread.
The wig was purchased from Lucaille. The bangs and back of the wig were trimmed.